Friday, November 15, 2013

What to Watch This Weekend 9/14/13

While my recommendations may seem thin this week, if you haven't seen "Ender's Game" or "Thor: The Dark World", those ought to be at the top of your list. Here are a few other ideas:
On Netflix

If you haven't ever seen the show "Supernatural", now is as good a time as any to give it a look. It's been on TV for many years (I think it's in its 9th season), and I am not currently watching as it airs, but I did go back and watch the first couple of seasons recently. My first impression? It's so scary!! So maybe not for kids. Also now and then there are surprise sex scenes, so also not for kids. Luckily, they are short, not terribly graphic scenes. Actually, in all of seasons 1 and 2, I can't remember more than one, so thankfully that distraction is minimal. (One day I'm going to write a diatribe on the fact that Hollywood is filled with writeres who like to distract from actual STORYTELLING with sex scenes in their movies and TV shows... but this is not that day.) The show follows the Winchester brothers, Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) as they travel around the country fighting supernatural evil, including witches, ghosts, spooks, urban legends and demons. Though I didn't find it compelling enough to rush through, it is a show I will go back and watch from time to time, if I'm in the mood. Again, probably not for kids. It's scary, gory and there is adult dialogue, ifyaknowwhatImean.

At Redbox

With the second Hunger Games movie opening next week, it's a good time to rent the original and watch it again. For the uninitiated, this dystopic story is about a future where teens have to fight to the death to entertain the masses, which keeps everyone thoroughly oppressed by the government. It would be a rare treat if the movies were better than the books, but they do stand up pretty well on their own.


Comment below-- tell me what you're plans are!  Then pop the popcorn, make a mug of cocoa and settle in with your remote control or a good book. Have a great weekend, everyone! 

No comments: